When my oldest was just starting to read, I found it nearly impossible to find simple books that she could read all by herself. I was looking for books with:
- just a few words per page
- bright and engaging pictures
- repetitive text
- sight words for children to learn at an easy pace
Now that I’m teaching her younger brothers to read, I’ve decided to create my own set of emergent readers! We are using these along with This Reading Mama’s fabulous Reading the Alphabet curriculum for preschoolers. (Talk about a hands-on, age-appropriate approach to learning to read!) Since Reading the Alphabet teaches a new sight word per week, I’m creating a set of four readers featuring each sight word. So if you’re using set 5 of my readers, you’ll find lessons to go right along with them in Reading the Alphabet, Lesson 5.
Of course, these readers work well for any beginning readers — from preschool to grade one!
Here’s a sample page from Set 1, Farm Animals.
Here’s a sample from Set 6, The Cookout. You can see how the text is getting more challenging.
Here’s a sample from Set 13, A Snowy Day – the sentences are longer and require more attention to phonics.
I’d love for you to follow me on Facebook so that you don’t miss a single set!
- Set 1: Animals (sight word a)
- Set 2: Places (sight word the)
- Set 3: Transportation (sight word see)
- Set 4: Community Helpers (sight word I)
- Set 5: Fairy Tales (sight word look)
- Set 6: Summer (sight word at)
- Set 7: Back to School (sight word my)
- Set 8: Fall (sight word can)
- Set 9: Monsters (sight word you)
- Set 10: Patriotic (sight word it)
- Set 11: Thanksgiving (sight word for
- Set 12: Christmas (sight word big)
- Set 13: Winter (sight word and)
- Set 14: All About Me (sight word me)
- Set 15: Presidents Day (sight word is)
- Set 16: Valentine’s Day (sight word not)
- Set 17: Sun, Moon, and Planets (sight word up)
- Set 18: Easter (sight word am)
- Set 19: Spring (sight word to)
- Set 20: Transportation, set 2 (sight word go)
This video will show you how to assemble the readers: