Today I’m sharing a set of printable games that will help your child learn digraph sounds.
(This post contains affiliate links.)
Today I’m sharing a new set of single-player games. My Four loves these, and they’re really helping him learn the sounds of common consonant digraphs!
My little guy knows his letter sounds, but those tricky consonant digraphs (sh, ch, th) are another story. I began by creating a game to help him hear digraph sounds at the beginning of words.
Since he did so well with that, I created these games to help him associate each digraph with its correct sound.
Have your child put his playing piece anywhere on the perimeter of the game. Then have him roll the die to move around the board. When he lands on a letter or digraph, he says its sound and finds a picture on the board whose name begins with that sound.
He dots that picture with his marker and keeps playing until he has five in a row. Bingo! The game is over.
Why we love this game
- The game teaches something new while also reviewing familiar letter sounds.
- It’s fun. My kids love rolling a die, using Do-a-Dot markers, and seeing when they’ll get a Bingo.
- It gives lots of practice. Every time your child lands on a letter or digraph, he has to say the sound and hunt through the pictures for one that matches.
- My Four can play this all by himself. Since he’s new at it, I sit right next to him, but as he gets better at it he can play it while I’m making dinner. (In the classroom, this would be a great game for learning centers or early finishers!)
- It takes very little ink and is low prep. Don’t you love print and play games that use only black and white ink?
- Finally, the download comes with eight different games… from easy to hard. The first games focus on just one digraph at a time, gradually mixing digraphs and finally putting all five together.
Here’s what you’ll find in the download:
Game 1: sh (along with the single letters b, s, l, n, p, g, r, d, c)
Game 2: ch (along with the single letters p, m, k, j, b, f)
Game 3: th (along with the single letters b, r, m, g, v, c, g, p, r, l, b)
Game 4: sh, ch (along with the single letters a, y, w, z, n, y)
Game 5: sh, th (along with the single letters t, u, e, o, p)
Game 6: ch, th (along with the single letters l, g, s, l, d)
Game 7: sh, ch, th (along with the single letters b, k, i)
Game 8: sh, ch, th, kn, wh
More free printables for teaching digraphs
© 2016, Anna Geiger. All rights reserved.