Today I’m sharing a fun round up of sight word activities to try at home!
What are sight words?
Traditionally, when teachers say “sight words,” they are referring to high frequency words that children should know by sight.
We often define sight words as words that kids can’t sound out – words like the, for example.
However, reading researchers have a different definition of sight words.
A sight word is a word that is instantly and effortlessly recalled from memory, regardless of whether it is phonically regular or irregular. A sight-word vocabulary refers to the pool of words a student can effortlessly recognize.David A. Kilpatrick, PhD
So should we get lists of sight words and get our students to memorize them using flash cards?
Not so fast.
This doesn’t fit with how the brain learns to read.
After teaching your students their sight words in a meaningful way (my sight word lessons and decodable books are perfect for this), try one of these simple ways to practice sight words.
These are all fun, creative ways to practice reading … with minimal set up. Have fun!
1. Create a Tic-Tac-Toe board. Write a word in each square. Take turns reading words and covering them with an X or O.
2. Here’s one of our favorites: write the words on sticky notes and read them aloud as you slap them with a flyswatter.
3. Play “Where’s the Bear?” with Dixie cups. (Sprinkles to Kindergarten)
4. Make a sight word parking lot! (Juggling with Kids)
5. Write sight words on sticky notes and use small toys as learning props. Brilliant! (Kids Activities Blog)
6. Get a free printable and play Roll a Sight Word. (I Can Teach My Child)
7. Play a sight word game with a muffin tin. (Growing Book by Book)
8. Circle sight words with bottle cap stamps. (Sugar Aunts)
9. Make popsicle stick sight words. (This Reading Mama)
10. Enter the words you want to practice, and print a set of free sight word dominoes! (Sight Words)
Pre-order my new book and get a FREE bonus!
You’ll love this reader-friendly guide to the science of reading! Learn how to put the research into action so you can reach ALL readers. Pre-order before July 23 and get my Science of Reading Mini-Course – FREE!
THE BEST SIGHT WORD WORKSHEETS
High Frequency Word Worksheets – Based on the science of reading!
These sight word worksheets are the real deal. Kids will practice spelling the individual sounds of each word … which is exactly what they need to do to master their high frequency words!