Looking for a simple, low-prep activity to help your child learn beginning sounds? Here you go!
Today I’m sharing a set of low-prep printables that will help your child or students master beginning sounds.
Each sort asks your child to sort pictures into 2, 3, or 4 groups based on their beginning sounds.
Simply cut out the headers and the pictures. Glue or place each header at the top of a column, and have your child say the name of each picture. After he names the picture, he glues or places it in the appropriate column.
You’ll get a total of eighteen picture sorts (pictured above) in the download.
Tips for using these picture sorts
- Make sure your child knows the names of the pictures before asking him to do the sort. You’ll find a picture key at the front of the download.
- If you are doing these with a young preschooler, do all or most of the cutting for your child – no need to wear him out before he begins!
- If your child is just starting to learn letter sounds, go through the sorts in order. They progress from easy to hard. Do just one sort per day, and review what you’ve learned through fun alphabet activities before working at a new sound.
- If your child struggles with a sort, store the pieces in a plastic bag and review the same sort until you’re ready to move to the next one.
- If you feel that your child already knows most of his letter sounds and has phonemic awareness, use these as a review before moving on to a beginning reading curriculum.
My middle son enjoyed these when we did them a year ago (it’s taken me this long to get them on the blog, whoops!). But when I pulled them out for his younger brother (4 1/2) he resisted them (that’s a nice way to say that he called them boring and refused to do them).
Despite his resistance, I’m still pulling these out for my preschooler because the review is good for him. (And because I’m mean like that.) It won’t be a strong focus, though, because he knows his letter sounds quite well.
Pre-order my new book and get a FREE bonus!
You’ll love this reader-friendly guide to the science of reading! Learn how to put the research into action so you can reach ALL readers. Pre-order before July 23 and get my Science of Reading Mini-Course – FREE!
Get your free beginning sound picture sorts!
MEMBERS GET MORE!
Members of The Measured Mom Plus get access to even more printables, plus no-print resources and video trainings.