If you’re looking for fun activity to help your child hear the differences among the short vowel sounds, you’ll love what I’m sharing today!
I’m so excited about this newest printable, I’m almost giddy. I just love how they turned out… and you’ll love how beautiful and simple the game is! All you have to do is print a board and grab a die.
26 Free games for short vowel sounds
This game provides a ton of practice hearing the different short vowel sounds.
1. Each player chooses a playing piece. You might want to borrow game pieces from one of your board games (ours were from the game Sorry).
2. Place your pieces on Start.
3. Take turns rolling a die. When you roll it, you do not move forward that many spaces. Instead, look at the key on top of the game (each game is different). On this board, if you roll a 1 or a 2, you move to the next picture with the short a sound in the middle. If you roll a 3 or 4, move to a picture with the short o sound. Roll a 5? Move ahead 2. Roll a 6? Roll again.
4. Keep taking turns rolling the die and moving to the appropriate picture. You never share a space with another player, and you reach the last space by rolling the sound for that particular vowel (or getting a number which tells you to move ahead 2).
5. The first to the end wins.
And think about how much practice the game gives. Every picture your child moves past, he has to say the name and listen for the middle vowel. That’s a lot of practice!
And in case you were wondering, you’ll get other combinations of two vowels besides short a and short o. In fact, every possible combination of two vowels is included in the download.
Your child is ready for an additional challenge? No problem. I’ve got every possible combination of three vowels included in the pack as well.
And, yes, every combination of four vowels is also included. The last game in the download is one with all five short vowels.
See why I’m excited?! I’m already planning some more games like this one… stay tuned for Roll a Blend, Roll a Digraph, and Roll a Long Vowel. Oh, the possibilities!
(Update: here they are!)
Get your free short vowel games!
Tips for teaching phonics
Sign up for our free 5-day email series to learn what phonics skills to teach and how to structure your phonics lessons!
Decodable Passages: CVC Words
When you purchase, you’ll get 24 decodable passages for beginning readers. Get decoding, comprehension, and spelling practice on a single page!