I found the original recipe for this easy main dish, Cheesy Beef & Rice, at Heavenlyhomemakers.com. Laura has a huge database of real food recipes – no cream of chicken soup, no white flour, and no processed sugar. And many of her recipes are simple, like this one. Be sure to check her out!
I changed a few things in Laura’s recipe. First, I substituted plain yogurt for the sour cream. I rarely have sour cream in the house, but I always have plain yogurt. We make our own (this is very simple using a yogurt maker). I like to strain it for the recipe so it’s not too runny. I also decreased the milk and swirled the cheese inside the casserole with just a little sprinkled on top. Finally, I used sharp cheddar instead of regular cheese. I find it brings out the flavor in these mild dishes. Of course you can use any kind.
Our 12-month-old just loves this.
Beef & Rice Casserole
- 3 cups cooked brown rice (1 cup dry)
- 1 lb extra-lean ground beef
- small onion, chopped
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- salt, to taste
- 1 cup plain yogurt (I use full-fat)
- 1/4 cup lowfat milk (or whole)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar (or regular)
1. Cook the ground beef and onion together. Drain.
2. Mix the beef and onion with the cooked rice. Season with garlic powder and salt, to taste.
3. Stir in the yogurt and milk.
5. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Nutrition Information (makes 6 generous servings):
- 395 calories
- 21 g fat
- 27 g carbohydrates
- 1 g fiber
- 23 g protein
Looking for more healthy recipes? These are our favorites!