This is a recipe I found in the newspaper a few years back. We use considerably less spice than is recommended so that our kids can enjoy this dish, too. This is a budget-friendly main dish and one I can often make with items I have in the freezer and pantry.
Black & Brown Burritos
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- chili powder, to your family’s taste (up to 1 1/2 tsp)
- ground cumin, to your family’s taste (up to 1/2 tsp)
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 8 tortillas, white or whole wheat
for garnish: shredded cheddar, green onions, sour cream or plain yogurt, salsa
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion, garlic, chili powder, and cumin. Cook 7 minutes or until onion is soft.
2. Add cooked rice, black beans, and frozen corn. Stir and cook 6 minutes or until mixture is hot.
3. Remove from heat and spoon a generous portion inside each tortilla.
4. Garnish as desired.
Nutrition Information (calculated with white flour tortillas at 120 calories each and garnished with 2 tbsp cheddar and 1 tbsp plain yogurt per tortilla):
- 343 calories
- 10 g fat
- 52 g carbohydrates
- 6 g fiber
- 13 g protein
Looking for more healthy recipes? These are our favorites!