Weekly spelling practice will become a drudgery if all you’re doing is copying and reciting spellings. Try this free printable spelling game to mix things up!
Even though my kids attend school starting in kindergarten, I feel that it’s up to me to see that they develop a love of words. One way I can promote that is by teaching spelling at home. But if it’s going to supplement their classroom education, you can bet that it’ll have to be fun. I love Word Study — a hands-on, meaningful approach to spelling instruction. I’ve started its lessons with my daughter, who will be entering first grade in the fall.
Word Study focuses on weekly word sorts which allow students to find patterns in words instead of memorizing random word lists or trying to remember rules that are often broken.
Another part of Word Study is games.
As I develop and prepare games to play with my daughter, I’ll be sharing them here.
Whether you’re a homeschooling parent, a classroom teacher looking for a buddy game to use in the classroom, or a parent who’s helping your child get ready for the weekly test — here’s a game for you!
A spelling game for any word list
Climb the Ladder Spelling Game:
1. Read a spelling word from your child’s list. She should write the word on the bottom rung of the ladder.
2. If the word is incorrect, your child should cross out her incorrect spelling and write the correct spelling (with your help) next to the misspelled word. The next spelling word should go on the same rung.
3. When your child spells a word correctly on the first try, she may move to the next rung for her next spelling word.
4. When she reaches the top, she’s done!
Obviously you will want to choose the words that are most challenging to your child to ensure she gets practice on the toughies.
Want to know more about spelling?
Check out our word study series!
- Part 1: There’s a better way to teach spelling
- Part 2: How to understand the levels of spelling development
- Part 3: How to know which spelling words to teach
- Part 4: Word sort activities
- Part 5: Meaningful spelling activities
Get your free Ladder Spelling Game!
OUR VERY FAVORITE PRINTABLE SPELLING GAMES
If you’re looking for printable games that you can use with any word list, we highly recommend this collection from This Reading Mama. Many of the games are editable! Purchase below using my affiliate link.