Looking for family gift ideas? No matter your budget, we’ve got you covered!
(This post contains affiliate links.)
Are you looking for a single gift that will make everyone happy? Here are some great family gift ideas! No matter your budget or the ages of the family you’re buying for – you’re sure to find a winning gift in this collection of 100 ideas.
And to make it easy for you, I’ve done the shopping. Just click on the brown text to bring you straight to a seller!
Since everyone likes to eat, the gift of food is often a crowd pleaser. The trick is finding something that pleases everyone’s palate! Consider one of these ideas:
Fruit is a winner with nearly everyone, but you might want to sneak in a few candy bars! Check out some of these gourmet fruit baskets – they’re amazing!
Consider a candy gift box. (Wouldn’t it be cool to receive that retro candy?)
There’s a snack for everyone here… whether you’re buying for a family who eats healthfully or one that enjoys some less healthy options.
How about a DIY themed food basket?
- Movie night: Candy, microwave popcorn, a family friendly movie, and fun popcorn containers
- Cookie baking: Cookie mix in a jar or a variety of cookie ingredients with your favorite recipes
- Winter afternoon: Put in a variety of hot chocolate mixes and add one of the fun card games farther down this list
- Ice cream sundaes: Cones or fun ice cream dishes and a variety of toppings in clear containers (nuts, sprinkles, candy, fudge, caramel sauce)
What? Appliances for a family gift? You bet!
Two years ago I bought my family an ice cream maker. We started a tradition of homemade ice cream every Saturday night. (Our recipe: 1 part heavy cream to 1 part whole milk, plus 1/2 tbsp pure maple syrup for each cup of liquid. Add a dash of peppermint extract and chocolate chips for homemade mint chocolate chip!)
I know, I know… if you have to play one more game of Candyland, you might pull your hair out. Don’t worry – I’ve included games that appeal to a wide variety of ages.
- Spot It! – One of those few games that is truly fun and challenging for everyone! I recommend it for ages 4 to adult. (under $20)
- Settlers of Catan – One of our favorites for ages 9 to adult
- A Ticket to Ride – By the makers of Settlers of Catan, it’s a favorite for ages 8+.
- Blokus – No reading required, but still fun for adults – ages 5+
- Jax Doodle Dice – Great for families with both big and little kids – ages 4+
- Mexican Train Dominoes – Ages 8+
- Pit – A favorite from my childhood – ages 8+
- Qwirkle – On our gift list this year! – ages 5+
- Morphology Junior – Ages 8+
- Headbanz – Looks like a fun guessing game, but skip it if the family’s kids are in their teens
- What Were You Thinking? – My personal favorite! Fabulous way to get families talking and laughing together – ages 8 to adult, but especially great for families with teens
- Apples to Apples Jr. – Hilarious comparisons game for ages 9+
- Uno Attack – Faster and more unpredictable version of the classic card game for ages 5+
- Phase 10 card game – Ages 8+
- Skip Bo card game – Ages 7+
- Pictionary -The classic drawing game
- Farkle – Another fun dice game, ages 8+
- What’s Yours Like? – Looks like a winner for families with older kids – ages 12+
- Yahtzee – I like this retro version of the classic dice game – kids as young as 6 could play with help
- Rummikub – Fun and challenging for kids and adults
You’ll have to do a little research for this one, but you might be able to find a local spot that the entire family enjoys.
- Children’s museum
- Public museum
- Water park
- Nature preserve
- Amusement park
- Indoor play place (for families with kids ages 3-10)
- Local bowling alley
If you’re giving to a family who enjoys the outdoors, try one of these:
- Bocce Ball is a fun backyard game for ages 6+. Get the heavier set if the family’s kids are 12+. (under $30)
- The classic Beanbag Toss game can be found for both high and low prices. (We got ours at Menard’s.) Shop around. – ages 3+
- Ladderball Game – ages 4+
- Bucket Blast Game Set – 15 games in one for ages 6+ (best for ages 6-12)
- Hammock – Not a game, but it’s something everyone can enjoy – just not all at once!
- Camping Gear: Buy a new cooler and fill it with fun and useful camping accessories – like headlamps, an egg holder, and an open-fire popcorn popper.
- Insulated Picnic Basket – add a few yummy snacks and some frisbees!
- Trampoline – If space and money are no object. 🙂
- DIY Get Outside Pack... Depending on the ages of the kids, you might put in frisbees, a football, hula hoops, a T-ball set, or a badminton set
If you’re short on time, buying a gift card can be quick and easy. If you’re not buying for your own family, you’ll need to do a little research to find out the local attractions.
Consider buying a gift card for one of these locations:
- Local ice cream shop or favorite dessert spot
- Family restaurant
- Movie theater
- Pizza place
- Children’s gym with open play time
- Indoor bike course (for older kids)
- Laser tag arena (for families with kids ages 6+)
Have you ever sat down to build with your child? Some of these toys are just irresistible no matter your age. Of course the baby won’t be able to play along, but any child who doesn’t put everything in his or her mouth will want to join in!
- Magna Tiles – our most expensive toy, but worth every penny!
- Jenga, the classic stacking game
- Snap Circuits Extreme – We own and adore this. I can’t say enough good things about it.
- Straws and Connectors building set
- Lego Ultimate Building Set – great for families with kids ages 4-12
- Big set of Lego Wheels and everything else you need to make more vehicles!
- Quadrilla – my parents own this amazing wooden marble run – ages 4+
- Music Motion Marble Railway – Quadrilla with xylophone keys built into different pieces!
- Erector Super Construction Set – popular for ages 8+
- K’Nex – a solid toy that lasts! – ages 7+
- Squigz – colorful suction builders that will capture the attention of your preschooler… but older family members won’t be able to resist!
- Connectagons – Colorful building set for families with kids ages 4-8