Here’s a simple card game for learning oo words!
A vowel digraph consists of two vowels that, together, make one sound. My Five and I are currently working on “oo” words.
This game focuses on the sound oo as in moon.
How to play
- Print the cards and cut them apart.
- Place the cards, face down, in the center of play.
- Take turns flipping over a card and reading it aloud.
This game was a good one for him – he had to really focus on the letters in the words. In the above photo, he skipped over the blend (sc) until I called attention to it. “Look again! What letters do you see at the beginning of the word?”
4. Watch out! If you get a “Boo!” card you have to put all your cards back in the center pile. Put the ghost aside so he doesn’t get drawn again (there are three ghosts in the deck).
5. When the center pile is used up, count to see how many cards each player has. The one with the most cards, wins.
You’ll love how simple this reading game is to prepare and play! The ghost card gives it a nice element of surprise, too. 🙂
Get your free oo words card game!
STUDENTS LOVE OUR NO-PRINT PHONICS ACTIVITIES!
Long Vowel Teams Bundle
Your students can complete these activities in Google Slides on a computer or tablet. The activities give them practice with ai, ay, ee, ea, ie, igh, -y, oa, ow, oo, ui, and ew.
My kids they enjoyed the “Boo!” element 🙂
My favorite site. Thank you so much for all the free printables! I volunteer at an underprivileged school where I teach second language English to Grade 3 and 4. Pretoria South Africa.
You’re welcome, Collette!
Thank you so much for this game! Your resources are a blessing to our family!!
You’re very welcome, Sarah!
Thankyou my class will love this
You’re very welcome, Geraldine! I hope you find many helpful resources on my site!
thank you so much for this! Love from Southeast Asia
You’re very welcome, Effa!
I hope they do, Kelli!
Thanks so much for the BOO game! The kids are going to love it!
Ana Ligia Rail
thanks for this -00 cards, they will help my students.
I’m so glad you can use them!