(This page contains affiliate links.)
I’ve created 24 sets of free phonics books for beginning readers! Use these alongside my sight word reader collection for a balanced approach.
My phonics books
- Each phonics book is a collection of sentences highlighting a particular phonics pattern. These are not actual stories like you might find in a purchased series or the Rhyme to Read app. However, you’ll find that the bright and engaging pictures will keep your child’s attention!
- Each book features both a phonics pattern and sight words that your child can learn by reading our free sight word readers. You’ll find the featured sight words listed on the back of each book.
- My early sets are quite simple and perfect for children just starting to sound out words. Even the later sets do not advance too quickly, making these a great resource for early and struggling readers alike.
- These readers are designed to use by themselves or alongside Reading the Alphabet, a wonderful hands-on preschool reading curriculum that our family loves.
How to assemble
Each book will be two full sheets of paper, front to back. Cut on the horizontal center of each book. (I love our paper cutter! I’ve used it for years. A little pricey on Amazon, but you might be able to get it at Michaels with a coupon.)
Fit the pages together in their proper order.
Staple on the fold with a long-armed stapler.
Get the books!
Learn about each set and download the books for free by clicking on the images below.
P.S. Want to know more about teaching kids to read?
I created a free email series just for you!
- What kids need to know before they learn to sound out words
- How to use word families to teach kids to read
- Do’s and don’ts for teaching kids to “sound it out”
- Our favorite games, printables, and books for early literacy
- What to try when kids just aren’t getting it