You’ll love this free place value game for 2nd grade!
A lot of my readers have been requesting activities for second grade and older. So this is the first in a series of second grade math games.
The freebie comes with the following:
- A basic game board
- 24 task cards with problems featuring basic 10 blocks
- An answer key on a card
- A recording sheet to use with the game
- A “write the room” recording sheet
You can use the cards in a variety of ways. I decided to use the game board version with my 8-year-old. So I printed the game board, two recording sheets, the answer key, and the task cards. Then I grabbed a die and two playing pieces.
My son grabbed the first card from the stack. He added up the value of the base ten blocks and wrote the answer in the appropriate space on his recording sheet.
We flipped over the recording sheet to check his answer. Since he was correct, he rolled the die and moved forward on the game board.
We kept taking turns and playing in this manner until my son reached “END” first.
Both of us enjoyed this simple activity!
- If you plan to use this with multiple learners, I recommend printing the task cards on cardstock and laminating them.
- If you’d like to use the cards as a “Write the Room” activity, simply tape them around the room and give your learners clipboards and a blank recording sheet. They can move around the room to find the cards and write the correct answers in the corresponding spots on the recording sheet.
- Another idea is to put the cards at a math center along with a recording sheet. Children answer as many questions as time allows.
More great resources!
© 2018 – 2020, Anna G. All rights reserved.