Looking for free reading games? You’ll love these no-prep games for teaching bossy r words!
(This post contains affiliate links.)
A few weeks ago, I shared my printable no-prep games to help teach beginning blends. I created a set of similar games to teach bossy r words. And when I told my Five that we were going to play some four-in-a-row reading games, he showed unusual enthusiasm.
“YAY! I love those games!” (This was a nice contrast from what he usually says when I tell him we are going to play some learning games…)
These games follow the same format as my no-prep blends games.
Here’s how to play this 2-person game:
1. Print a board that focuses on the phonics pattern you wish to teach (ar, ir, er, ur, or). You may print in color or black and white.
2. Collect round playing pieces for each player. Make sure you each have a different color. In the past we’ve used clear transparent counters, which have proven to be a great manipulative for so many activities. But this time around we played with our Do-a-Dot markers.
2. Take turns reading a word. If you read it correctly, you may cover it with one of your pieces or dot with your marker.
3. Whoever gets four in a row first, wins!
As it turned out, we kept playing on each board after one of us had four in a row. We took turns reading words at lightning speed and dotting them with our markers. I was really happy to see how well my Five is doing with bossy r words!
The download has nine games:
- Game 1: ar words
- Game 2: er words
- Game 3: ir words
- Game 4: ur words
- Game 5: or words
- Game 6: er & or words
- Game 7: ar & ir words
- Game 8: ur & or words
- Game 9: ar, er, ir, or,& ur words
I’ve included the games in both black-and-white and color. Have fun!
Have you seen our other freebies for bossy r words?