Here’s a great free spelling game that you can use with any word list – and it’s designed just for Fall! My first grader loved playing this one with me. I’m sure we’ll be pulling this out again, even when the winter snow covers our pumpkins!
Free fall spelling game
You’ll want to print the board on two separate sheets of paper and attach together. I mounted each piece on construction paper, laminated each one on my awesome (and affordable!) home laminator, and put them together with clear packing tape.
You’ll also download ten playing cards. See the above sample.
How to play:
- Write each of your spelling words on a slip of paper. Put them in a cup. Place the pumpkin cards face down on the giant pumpkin.
- On your turn, another player reads you a spelling word. Spell it out loud or write it down. If you’re correct, roll a die and move forward.
- If you move forward and land on a pumpkin, pull out a pumpkin card and try the challenge. If you’re right, you get to move ahead the number listed on the card.
- The first to reach Finish, wins!
We like to use colorful glass gems as playing pieces.
My first grader loved landing on the pumpkins! The ten pumpkin challenge cards are designed for kids in first, second, or third grade. Here’s what you’ll find on them:
- Spell the next word and name a word that rhymes with it.
- Write the next word and circle all the consonants.
- Write the next word and circle all the vowels.
- Use the next word in a sentence.
- Spell the next word and name another word that has the same spelling pattern.
- Spell the next word aloud as you write it in the air.
- Use letter tiles or alphabet stamps to spell the next word.
- Spell the next word and draw a picture of it.
- Spell the next word and tell how many syllables it has.
- Write the next word as small as you can and as large as you can.
I love this game, and I hope you do too!