It’s absolutely frigid here in the Midwest, so I thought that a winter spelling activity would be just the thing. The best part? You can adapt this game to any word list!
To play, you’ll need:
- the gameboard (I laminate mine for durability, but you wouldn’t have to)
- spelling word cards — with a spelling word printed on each card
- winter playing cards
- playing pieces
- a die
Here’s how to play:
1. Put your playing piece on Start. On your turn, the player to your left reads you a spelling word. If you spell it correctly, roll the die and move ahead. If not, stay where you are.
2. If you land on a snowball, your turn is over.
3. If you land on a colorful snowflake, the other player reads you a winter word. If you get it correct, move ahead the number of spaces on the card.
4. Whoever reaches the snow fort first, wins!
Here’s the game board. Just move along the pile of snowballs to get to the snow fort. For my daughter, the best part of the game was landing on snowflakes. She liked the chance to spell a winter word. I’ve included cards of varying levels of difficulty.
If you don’t want to frustrate a young speller, you can always take out those harder words.
As always, you have such wonderful ideas!!!!
Thank you so much, Heather!
Thank you so much for the feature, Beth!
This game will make spelling so much fun that the kids will forget they are learning.
Thank you for stopping by the Thoughtful Spot Weekly Blog Hop this week. We hope to see you drop by our neck of the woods next week!
I hope to be there – thanks for hosting!
Thanks for this great resource. I shared it on my Facebook page.
Thank you so much for sharing, Joni!
I love your focus on spelling, and your games are so much fun! I am sharing this one!
Thank you so much, Natalie!
Your spelling games are THE best, Anna! Thanks for sharing!!!
Thank you so much! Love to make them as long as my creative juices last 🙂