I’m building up my collection of hands-on word family fun. To add to our other short a printables, I created this free word family game: Uno!
Lately my Four and Six have been obsessed with the classic Uno game.
Since I’m teaching my Four to read by starting with short a word families, I designed this game with him in mind. However, I quickly discovered that this is best for someone who can read these families with more speed. The game required too much concentration for him to enjoy. I’ll try again in a few months.
But my Six? She loved it.
Free Word Family Game
How to play:
- Deal 5 cards to each player.
- Turn over the top card from the deck.
- The first player looks to see if one of his cards matches the turned-up card: it can match in color or word family. If a card matches, he sets it on top and reads it aloud. If the player has no matching card in his hand, he draws one card from the deck. He can play that card if it matches.
- Players can play a “skip,” “reverse,” or “draw 2” card if it matches the color of the upturned card. If a player plays a “skip” card, the next player loses a turn. If he plays a “reverse” card, the direction of play reverses. If he plays a “draw 2,” the next player draws 2 cards and does not get to play a card on his turn.
- Players can play “Wild” cards at any time. When doing so, they should name the new word family that players must match.
- When a player has one card left, he says “Uno.”
- The first player to play all his cards wins!
The deck consists of 99 cards:
- 80 word family cards (10 cards for each word family: ab, at, ack, ad, am, ag, an, ap)
- 5 Draw 2 cards (red, yellow, orange, green, blue)
- 5 Skip cards (red, yellow, orange, green, blue)
- 5 Reverse cards (red, yellow, orange, green, blue)
- 4 Wild cards
If you just want the fronts of the cards, you will need to print only the even-numbered pages.
Get your free short a card game!
CHECK OUT OUR WORD FAMILY MATS AND GAMES!
Short Vowel Word Family Mats & Games
This is a set of 35 printable short vowel word family picture mats with corresponding word cards. The mats come in three different versions – full color with a border, color without a border, and black and white. Each mat also comes with a worksheet and two games.