Hurray!! We’re on our final set of short vowel word family houses.
Short u word family houses
Word family houses are so versatile! Follow the simple assembly instructions and use them in a few different ways:
1) Have your little one read a few before you dive into a decodable book.
2) Let this be your phonics practice before you start reading a stack of sight word or leveled readers.
3) Practice reading short vowel word family houses as part of a spelling unit on short vowel words.
4) Use these for remedial students who need more practice sounding out words. They’re quick and hands-on — two important things for many reluctant readers!
To assemble the word family houses, follow these steps:
1) Print the document on brightly colored cardstock. Here’s what a sample download will look like:
2. Cut out the house and wheel. Make sure to cut into the house and snip out the window, too.
3. Laminate both pieces. I love this affordable home laminator. If you’ve cut out the window before laminating, you will have a nice clear window. This is what you will have:
4. Attach the pieces together with a brass fastener. Here are our finished houses:
Bonus… get all 35 word family houses, updated and in a single download!
We highly recommend this reading curriculum for learning short vowel words!
Grab more phonics printables
© 2013 – 2016, Anna G. All rights reserved.