I was recently nominated by another blogger for The Sunshine Award. This was a new one for me – but after some research I learned that the Sunshine Award is for “bloggers who positively and creatively inspire others in the blogosphere”.
The Sunshine Award is kind of like playing tag. It reminds me of those e-mail questionnaires which I seriously love. It was fun to create a list of 11 great mom blogs to share with my readers. If you’re tagged, here’s what you do:
1 – Acknowledge the blogger who nominated you.
2 – Share 11 random facts about yourself.
3 – Answer 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
4 – List 11 bloggers who you believe deserve to be nominated and recognized (my list is near the end of this post).
5 – Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer and let all those bloggers know that you nominated them for The Sunshine Award. (You cannot nominate the blogger that nominated you.)
Thanks so much to Annette from In All You Do for the nomination!
11 Random Facts about the Measured Mom
1. I was born in Canada, but I only lived there for two weeks.
2. I have a twin brother (plus 2 more brothers and a sister).
3. I love, love, love junk food. So I try to keep it out of my house.
4. I always thought I’d be married at about age 22 and have all my kids by 30. Instead I got married at almost 29, and the Lord is still blessing us with babies (#5 due in 11 weeks!).
5. I play organ for church.
6. I played bass clarinet in high school and college, but I marched with the tenor sax. Because my band instructor said bass clarinets looked weird in a marching band.
6. I don’t get sick when I’m pregnant. I just get cellulite.
7. I received the diploma for my master’s degree right before my future husband I started dating.
8. I like to exercise. I hate to run. I don’t do enough of either since I started blogging.
9. It took me more than five years to get it right, but now my homemade whole wheat bread turns out perfect nearly every time.
10. I have a phobia of playing any kind of team sport in front of other people — stemming from some pretty horrendous experiences in gym class.
11. I’m so thankful for the grace that God gives me every day.
11 Questions from Annette of In All You Do
1. What is your favorite part about blogging?
I love creating at the computer. When I was teaching, my favorite part of it was creating activities for my class. I think it’s so amazing that I can just slip them into a blog post and lots of other people can use them too.
2) What is your all-time favorite color?
3) What country do you most want to visit and why?
Actually I’d love seeing more of the United States. I just have seven more states to hit!
4) What is your favorite slow cooker meal?
Basic chicken breasts… just throw them in with a little water, garlic powder, salt, and pepper and cook all day. Soft and delicious!
5) What is your favorite Scripture/Book of the Bible and why?
I love the book of John. It lays out so many fundamental doctrines and has so many beautiful stories.
6) What is your favorite animal?
I’m just really not an animal person. My favorite animal is definitely NOT the mouse I think I saw running across the kitchen floor when I was doing my early morning blogging today!
7) If you had to give up one “luxury” in life, what would it be? (cell phone, Starbucks, etc.)
Tough one! I would say the television, because we rarely watch it anyway.
8) What is your favorite subject to teach?
Reading, hands down!
9) What is your favorite song/group?
Hmmm… even though I play piano and organ, music is something I enjoy but not a passion. I don’t really have a favorite!
10) What is your guilty pleasure (tv show, movie, candy)?
When my kids play and read at the library I sometimes read People magazine.
11) What is your favorite movie of all-time?
The five-hour BBC production of Pride and Prejudice. If you haven’t seen it, you MUST!
I follow many fabulous, creative blogs for moms — limiting this to 11 was extremely difficult! I chose bloggers I’ve been blessed to network with as well as some newer bloggers who deserve to get noticed! I never fail to find ideas and resources I love at each of these sites.
These are the 11 bloggers I am nominating for the Sunshine Award. They are invited to accept my tag and follow the guidelines above. But no pressure, ladies — lives are busy, and my feelings won’t be hurt if you accept the award but don’t have time to follow through with the rest!
1) Becky of This Reading Mama — When I first started blogging I sent some fan mail to Becky after discovering her A.MA.ZING. blog, This Reading Mama. I just love her developmental approach to teaching reading. I was afraid I scared her off, but since then we’ve become friends and collaborated on a writing series. Love her!
2) Angela of Teaching Mama — Angela is another dear person (and former teacher) I’ve been blessed to get to know online. She’s worked hard to make her blog a fantastic resource for parents of preschoolers – I I look forward to seeing how her blog grows as her boys do!
3) Jaimi of The Stay-at-Home-Mom Survival Guide— Jaimi is expecting twins in a few months, but even if she doesn’t have time to update her blog you must check out her giant lists of baby, toddler, preschool, and early elementary activities. She also writes beautiful posts about being a Christian parent. Such a fantastic resource!
4) Katie of Gift of Curiosity — Here’s another preschool blog you’ll want to follow. Katie has tons of great learning ideas that she does with her two kids, not to mention fabulous (and free!) printable packs on a growing range of topics. You’ll love the huge variety you’ll find at Gift of Curiosity!
5) Amy at Delightful Children’s Books – Amy is a library science graduate and mom with wonderful book lists for parents! I especially love her historical book lists. Definitely a blog to follow if you’re passionate about children’s literature!
6) Shaunna at Fantastic Fun and Learning – Shaunna has a blog that’s just over a year old, but you’d never guess it. She’s got fabulous open-ended learning activities and art projects I can’t wait to try. Her blog’s photos are amazing. I’ve been following her for a while now, and you should be too!
7) Chelsey at Buggy & Buddy – Chelsey is another blogger who continually blows me away with her stellar content and gorgeous photography. Like most of the women in this list, she’s a former teacher with great ideas for encouraging open-ended learning at home. You won’t want to miss her book lists, invitations to play, printables, and more!
8) Sarah at How Wee Learn – Sarah’s blog is only a few months old, but already she’s gotten attention for her ability to share meaningful and easy ways to learn with kids at home. You’ll love her simple, creative ideas!
9) Sarah at Frugal Fun For Boys – As a mom of a girl and three boys, I love Sarah’s creative (and inexpensive) ideas for keeping the boys learning and entertained. She also has some truly inspiring posts about Christian parenting. Sarah’s blessed to be expecting her fifth right now, but morning sickness has her down, so I’d be surprised if she follows up with this award. Still, I wanted to make sure you check her blog out – whether you have boys or not!
This is just a selection of the many great blogs I follow! To get to know other great mom bloggers, follow me on Pinterest.
And now, fellow bloggers, here are your eleven questions from me:
1) What do you wish you’d known about blogging before you started?
2) What’s your biggest tip for a brand new blogger?
3) How old are your kids?
4) What’s your favorite thing to do when you have some alone time?
5) What’s your favorite food?
6) If you could (or do) hire someone to do one household task for you so that you’d never have to do it again, what would it be?
7) What’s your favorite thing about being a mom?
8) What kind of vehicle do you drive?
9) What was the best trip you ever took?
10) What’s something you had a lot of time for before you became a parent – but you find you don’t miss after all?
11) What brings sunshine to your day?
© 2013 – 2016, Anna G. All rights reserved.