Are you wondering how to teach a child to read? This helpful video and free ebook will tell you everything you need to know!
I get many emails from parents wanting the answer to this question: How can I teach my child to read?
It often takes me weeks before I reply to their message, because the answer is such a big one. For that reason, I decided to create this video. In it, you will learn the following:
- The 5 pre-reading skills your child must have before learning to read
- How to teach phonics
- How to get started with sight words
- How to choose the right books to teach comprehension
- How to build fluency
- How to be your child’s reading coach
- Why it’s still important to read aloud to your child
- How to put it all together and create your own lesson plans
Links mentioned in the video:
TIP #1 – Make sure your child has the necessary pre-reading skills before teaching him/her to read.
- Nursery rhyme concepts of print pack
- Voice to print cards
- Ultimate list of rhyming books
- Video: 5 things you need to know about phonological and phonemic awareness
Tip #2 – Make a plan for teaching phonics.
Tip #3 – Teach sight words.
Tip #4 – Remember that comprehension is key.
- A leveled book list for parents
- Reading A to Z (I strongly recommend a membership!)
- Holiday House books
Tip #5 – Build fluency.
Tip #6 – Be a reading coach.
Tip #7 – Don’t forget to read aloud to your child.
Tip # 8 – Put it all together.