These printable books are perfect for new readers!
Today I’m thrilled to welcome Liz from Liz’s Early Learning Spot! On her site, Liz shares research-based information about early education, along with amazing (and often free) printables. Be sure to follow her site for a wealth of useful information and resources!
These little readers are all about how kids can help… around the home, outside the home and amongst their friends. Not only are they great for practicing reading, but they also work as discussion starters. After all, our children might be little, but it doesn’t mean they can’t help out!
I Can Help Readers
These readers are predictable, making it easier for little ones to pick up the pattern and read along. They come in both color and black and white so you can have instant coloring books if you like!
- Book 1: I Can Help at Home – each sentence starts with I Can…
- Book 2: I Can Help Outside – these sentences also start with I Can…
- Book 3: I Can Help My Friend – the sentences start with My Friend, My Friend’s or My Friends…
What you’ll need:
- Download a copy of these I Can Help Readers (below)
- Paper for copying
- Scissors (you’ll only need to cut 1 slit in the paper, then fold to make the books)
How to assemble these books:
There are photo instructions in the printable so you can follow step by step, but basically you need to cut one slit in the middle of the page and then fold on all the lines. The book can then be folded into shape. Each book uses only one sheet of paper so you get 8-page mini-books that kids love to handle!
Ways to use these I Can Help Readers:
- Read with your child.
- Choose a target word such as “friend” and ask your child to trace that word with his finger each time he sees it.
- Use a highlighter to make words stand out, like “I can” or “the.”
- Chat about each helping action.
- How old might a child be to be able to help in that way? Do they need to be strong?
- How does it feel to help someone?
- Is it easy to help? Is it hard?
- How much time does it take?
- Can children think of help that they are given each day, and who helps them?
I hope you enjoy using these readers!
Get your free “I can help!” readers!
You can find Liz here
YOU’LL LOVE OUR EDITABLE SIGHT WORD GAMES
Editable Reading Games for Every Season – MEGA PACK!
Your students will ASK to practice their sight words when you start using this versatile set of sight word games! Simply type up to 12 words, and they’ll autofill into the 150 seasonal games.