In today’s post I’m sharing 9 free spelling pages for short vowel words. But don’t worry – it’s more than your standard worksheet!
I created this set of pages to help my Five get practice spelling and writing short vowel words.
Why not have kids copy spelling words 5 times each?
- It’s too easy to copy words without thinking about them.
- We can find many more thoughtful alternatives – why stick with a low level activity?
- If we want kids to love words and writing, we should bypass the boring activities.
Any spelling work I do at my house is supplemental, since my kids attend our church’s parochial school beginning in kindergarten. So I have to make sure that what I create keeps their attention.
You’ll love how simple this is!
1. Give your child a printable, pencil, and die.
2. Have him roll the die. He will write a word with an ending corresponding to the number on the die. On the above printable, rolling a two would mean writing a word that ends with “ack.”
3. Show your child how to use the letters, blends, and digraphs to create new words.
4. Set a timer or a set number of words to write so your child knows when to finish. Filling in every line would be a bit much!
My Five enjoyed this; it was a great activity to keep him busy and learning while I worked with a sibling. In the classroom, you could use it as a center or as quiet work when you finish a spelling lesson. If you wanted this to be a partner activity, you could have children take turns rolling the die and writing words. They could write in colored pencils if you wanted to see who had written which word.
In the download, you’ll find nine pages:
- at, an, ag, ad, ap, ab
- it, ig, in, ill, ip, ick
- ot, ob, og, op, ock
- et, en, ell, ed
- ug, um, un, ut
- an, un, en, in
- at, it, ot, ut
- ag, ig, ill, ell
Get your free Roll & Write pages!
OUR VERY FAVORITE PRINTABLE SPELLING GAMES
If you’re looking for printable games that you can use with any word list, we highly recommend this collection from This Reading Mama. Many of the games are editable! Purchase below using my affiliate link.