Check out the newest addition to my collection of free spelling games. It’s the Train Game! Perfect for reviewing long a spelling patterns.
The game was adapted from The Train Station Game, which is included in Words Their Way, by Bear, Invernizzi, Templeton, and Johnston.
I released the original version of this game almost two years ago. I’ve modified it so it’s a one page game and can also be printed in black and white.
Here’s the game board.
Here are the playing cards. See how they have words with three long a spelling patterns? You’ll find a-consonant-e, ai, and ay. Print two sets.
Rules for play:
1. Shuffle the cards. Deal five cards to each player, and place the rest underneath the game board.
2) On your turn, roll the die.
3) Move ahead. Read the word you land on and name the long a spelling pattern (a-consonant-e, ai, or ay).
4) Look at your cards. Find any words in your hand that match the spelling pattern. Place them in a discard pile.
5) Don’t forget to take cards from the draw pile to replace the same number you discarded.
6) If you run out of cards in the deck, shuffle the discard pile and use the cards again.
7) The first to get to the stop sign wins!
Get your free spelling game!
Phonics Games – Buddy Spelling – Level 2- CVCE – Vowel Teams – R-Controlled & More
These buddy spelling games are perfect for centers! Kids will practice spelling CVCE words, words with vowel teams, and words with r-controlled vowels!