This comforting dish is a favorite for all of us. Our 12-month-old absolutely devours it. I made some adjustments to this recipe.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup ketchup + 2-4 tbsp
- 1 can kidney beans: rinsed, drained and mashed (I run them through the food processor)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1 celery rib, chopped (if you have it)
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp lemon pepper seasoning
- 1/4 tsp seasoned salt
- 1 lb extra-lean ground beef
- 2-3 tbsp water
1. In a large bowl, combine the egg, 1/2 cup ketchup, mashed (or pureéd) kidney beans, oatmeal, onion, celery, Worcestershire sauce, lemon-pepper seasoning, and seasoned salt.
2. Crumble beef over the mixture and mix well with your hands.
3. Press into a greased 8×8 inch baking dish or a large bread pan. Shape into a loaf if you’d like.
4. In a bowl, combine a little extra ketchup and water. Spread over the meat.
5. Bake at 350º for about one hour, or until a meat thermometer reads 160º.
- 335 calories
- 15 g fat
- 29 g carbohydrates
- 1 fiber
- 22 g protein
Looking for more healthy recipes? These are our favorites!