Today I’m sharing a free printable make 10 addition game – with monsters!
(This post contains affiliate links.)
My daughter has been working to master her addition facts this year. Rather than sit and drill her with flash cards, I’ve been creating a variety of math games to help her with her facts. So far I’ve shared a game for the doubles facts and one for those harder facts.
This is a game we’ve been playing for quite a few months. I’m just now getting around to sharing it.
Rules for Monster Make 10
1. Shuffle the cards. Place 15 cards face down in a grid. Leave the others off to the side.
2. Take turns flipping over cards. If you get the exact sum of 10, you may keep the cards. If you flip over two cards and you are still at a sum of lesson than 10, keep flipping until you reach 10 or you go too high.
3. If you flip over a monster, it’s whatever number you need to get to 10. In the above example, the monster was the third card flipped over and is a 7.
4. If you flip over two monsters, name a make 10 fact (such as 7+3) to keep both monsters.
5. As you take out cards that you’ve won, replace them with face down cards from the pile.
6. At the end of the game, you will probably end up with extra cards that you cannot use. After you’re pretty sure you cannot make any more matches, flip over the remaining cards. The game is over. Count your pile to see who wins!
A tip: You can actually play this game without printing my version. Just get out a set of playing cards and make the Jokers and face cards your monsters. Easy prep, and no computer ink. But I have to say that my daughter (age 7) and her brother (kindergartner) really enjoy this version. They love seeing who flips over a monster; it’s the thing that gets them excited to play the game.
But if you decide to save on printer ink, I don’t need to know. 🙂
To prepare the cards:
- If you do not want to put the pink pattern on the back of the cards, just print the even numbered cards.
- For durability, laminate the sheets and then cut apart into cards. This laminator will make them nice and sturdy!
Get your free Monster Make Ten pages!
MEMBERS GET MORE!
Members of The Measured Mom Plus get access to even more printables, plus practical video trainings, no-print resources, and more. Join thousands of happy teachers, parents, and tutors!