These 35 word family picture mats and accompanying word cards will help your child gain confidence reading words in short vowel word families. The picture clues give extra support to beginning readers. These mats are a great vocabulary builder, too!
What you’ll get
With your purchase, you’ll get three pdf files containing 35 short vowel word family mats.
- an: fan, plan, van, scan, ran, can, pan, man
- ag: flag, bag, drag, wag, tag, rag, stag, sag
- at: cat, sat, hat, mat, bat, rat, pat, fat
- am: ham, ram, jam, slam, yam, tram, clam, swam
- ack: crack, sack, snack, back, black, rack, tack, jack
- ab: crab, lab, cab, stab, grab, nab, tab, gab
- ad: dad, mad, bad, sad, glad, lad, pad, grad
- ap: tap, nap, clap, map, trap, wrap, cap, gap
- est: nest, best, test, chest, rest, west, fest, vest
- et: pet, jet, net, get, vet, set, fret, wet
- ent: vent, dent, cent, spent, gent, sent, bent, tent
- en: hen, pen, wren, glen, men, ten, Ben, pigpen
- eck: neck, peck, speck, wreck, shipwreck, turtleneck, deck, check
- ell: shell, spell, cell, well, fell, smell, sell, bell
- ed: bed, sled, fled, fed, shed, wed, red, shred
- ill: hill, drill, grill, bill, ill, mill, pill, fill
- id: lid, mid, slid, hid, kid, bid, squid, grid
- ick: stick, pick, sick, kick, trick, chick, lick, brick
- it: knit, sit, kit, hit, lit, pit, bit, fit
- in: pin, win, grin, fin, bin, spin, twin, chin
- ig: dig, pig, wig, twig, jig, rig, big, sprig
- ip: chip, flip, ship, trip, chip, drip, rip, tip
- og: cog, fog, hog, dog, jog, log, frog, clog
- ob: blob, sob, lob, cob, slob, knob, job, rob
- ock: clock, dock, sock, knock, flock, block, rock, lock
- ot: cot, tot, shot, hot, slot, pot, spot, knot
- op: drop, chop, mop, cop, shop, top, hop, stop
- ub: tub, cub, scrub, club, shrub, grub, rub, sub
- uck: cluck, puck, buck, truck, duck, suck, stuck, yuck
- un: nun, bun, sun, gun, run, spun, stun, fun
- um: gum, drum, plum, yum, glum, mum, sum
- ut: cut, donut, peanut, Tut, strut, coconut, shut, hut
- ug: plug, dug, jug, hug, tug, mug, bug, rug
- unk: skunk, bunk, trunk, sunk, dunk, stunk, junk, flunk
- ump: jump, dump, hump, pump, stump, plump, ump, grump
The bundle pack will save you a lot of downloading. Plus, nearly all the mats include updated pictures! These mats are much nicer than my original read ‘n stick mats, which you can access for free on my blog.
Another bonus is that the mats and cards are color-coded. If a card gets separated from its mat, you can quickly find where it belongs.
How to assemble
1. Print the mats and cards on cardstock.
2. Laminate both the mat and cards. Cut apart the cards on the solid black lines.
© 2015 – 2017, Anna G. All rights reserved.