Looking for free reading activities and other online resources that will help you raise a reader? We’ve got them here!
Are you teaching your child to read?
Maybe you’re hoping to supplement what your child is learning at school.
Or perhaps you’re looking for tools to help your struggling reader.
You’ll find what you’re looking for in this giant list of free reading activities and resources!
Learning the alphabet and letter sounds
- Alphabet blackout
- Letter dominoes
- Letter pegboard practice
- Letter Sound Blackout
- Letter Sound Picture Mats
- Letter sound cover worksheets
- Beginning sound coloring pages
- Beginning sound clip cards
- Alphabet picture cards
- Alphabet play dough mats
Phonics & Sight Words
- Beginning blend clip cards
- Word family houses
- Milk cap spelling mats
- Word slider cards
- Digraph game
- Short vowel review game – Flip it!
- Short vowel word building pack
- Bob Book printables – great for using alongside the books!
- Long vowel Bingo
- 15+ printable strategy list for reading unknown words
- Strategies for reading longer words
- Multi-sensory activities for teaching reading
- Sight words: when they just don’t stick
- Phonics or sight words: Teaching kids to read
- How to teach sight words
- 10 Reading comprehension fix-up strategies
- 5 simple ways to improve reading comprehension
- Simple activities for strengthening reading comprehension
- How to help kids remember what they read
Free Printable books
- Free alphabet books
- Free books of rhymes and songs
- Free phonics books – when the series is complete, you’ll be able to download over 100 free books!
- Letter of the week book lists – a book list for every letter!
- Favorite nonfiction series for K-5
- Favorite picture books for K-2
- Favorite chapter books for grades 2-3
- Favorite chapter books for grades 4-5
Helping kids love reading
Online reading curricula & resources
- Learning the Alphabet is a brand new curriculum from This Reading Mama to help little ones learn their letters and sounds. I can’t wait to use it with my 3-year-old! Get it free as it’s released or buy the giant bundle pack for one low price.
- Reading the Alphabet is for older preschoolers who know their letters and sounds. This has been a great beginning reading program for my older two boys. Get it free or buy the bundle pack for fewer downloads.
- Find other great resources and websites in this list of online reading resources.
- Even more amazing resources for raising readers
Thoughtful posts you’ll love!
- Top resources for teaching your child to read from The Educators’ Spin on It
- 5 things your kids need before they’re ready to sound it out
- How to teach your child to read early
- Literacy terms defined for parents
- 10 things struggling readers need