Enjoy this set of free reading passages for young readers!
Without a doubt, one of the biggest requests I get at The Measured Mom is for simple reading passages for young readers.
I love to create reading passages, but they take a lot of time.
Because of that, I’ve started sharing new reading passages every month on my paid membership site.
Here’s a free sample so you can get a taste of what members get every month (in addition to many other printable resources!).
Each set of early reading passages comes in three different levels.
My kindergartner enjoyed the simplest passage and read it easily.
Every time she read the passage, she colored one of the smiley face circles. (Rereading builds fluency!)
Next, I helped her answer the questions at the bottom of the page.
Finally, she traced the vocabulary word (“snow”) and wrote it twice in her best handwriting.
She did well with the level 2 passage as well, although she needed help with the word “covers.”
The level 3 passage was at her frustration level, and she didn’t enjoy it. For her second reading, we read it chorally (at the same time) to boost her confidence. If I was using these with her in the classroom, I’d have her do the level 2 page.
How to use these passages
- Use them with individuals or small, ability-based reading groups.
- Encourage your learners to use their word solving skills when they come to tricky words.
- Find a part of the word you know.
- Read the first chunk and see if you can add the rest of the word.
- What would make sense?
- Say all the sounds in order.
- Teach your students how to read the question and all the possible answers before choosing the correct one.
- Consider completing these at school and sending them home for more practice.
- After you have done the passages with your learners, you might place them at a fluency center so students can read the passages again (alone or in pairs).
Enjoy your free set of passages!
Have you checked out
The Measured Mom Plus?
Get one-click access to hundreds of printables, including
- Alphabet printables
- Grammar games and task cards
- Phonics resources
- Reading passages
- Partner plays
- Quick video trainings
- and so much more!
© 2020, Anna G. All rights reserved.