Find a variety of hands-on shape and color activities in today’s post!
Colors and shapes are two of those things your child should know before he starts kindergarten. Thankfully, they’re fun to teach!
Even though I have taken a very laid-back approach to teaching my kids colors and shapes, my oldest four kids have learned them well by age 3 1/2. I’m doing the same sort of activities with my Two.
- We talk about shapes and colors as we go through our daily routine.
- We read books about colors and shapes.
- We play simple sorting games.
For a variety of fun, simple ways to teach colors and shapes, keep reading!
- Sort Froot Loops by color – I Can Teach My Child
- Sort toy food by color – This Little Home of Mine
- Do a color sorting sensory bin – I prefer to use stale cereal so my kids aren’t as tempted 😉 – The Resourceful Mama
- Print these free books about colors – and read them often. Repeat the color word when you name each object. (My Two loves these!)
- Make a color sorting train – Mom Inspired Life
- Learn about colors with a free activity pack – This Reading Mama
- Do a colorful pom pom drop – Imagination Tree
- Do an outdoor color hunt with items from nature– No Time for Flashcards
- Sort counting bears with a free printable sorting mat
- Read books about colors – This Reading Mama
- Sort shapes from magazines – Mom Inspired Life
- Do an indoor shape hunt – Frugal Fun 4 Boys and Girls
- Play shape games on the driveway – Mames Like Me
- Make an easy shape collage – Nurture Store
- Sort snacks by shape – Chieu Urban
- Play a roll and cover shape game – Playdough to Plato
- Make a shape book – Lovely Commotion
- Read books about shapes – Gift of Curiosity
I hope you’ve found some fun color and shape activities to try with your preschooler at home or in the classroom!
MEMBERS GET MORE
Members of The Measured Mom Plus get access to even more printables, video workshops, no-print resources, and more! Not a member yet? Learn more here.
Hey Anna! Thanks for including me! Sharing this post again with some of my homeschool preschool mamas! Hope you’re having a great week~
Thanks for sharing this, Elizabeth! 🙂
Thanks so much for putting this together, Anna! My 2-year-old is practicing his colors and shapes now. He’ll love doing these!
Yay – I hope you find some activities here that he enjoys, Leslie!