I made this bright and colorful printable spelling game to use with my Six.
Even though my Six attends our church’s parochial school, it’s important to me that she learns to spell at her developmental level using a meaningful approach to spelling. So I’m supplementing at home with Word Study. Be sure to check out my five-part series on Word Study – useful for both homeschooling parents and classroom teachers!
Printable spelling game
Directions for Use:
2) Mount the two pieces of paper on colorful construction paper. Tape in the back. Then cover with clear contact paper.
OR… if you have access to a large laminator, mount the pieces on construction paper and run the game through!
3) Make your own cards with dimensions a little larger than 2 x 3 inches OR print the blank cards on pages 4-6 of the download. Write one spelling word on each card.
Directions for Play:
1) You’ll need playing pieces, a die, playing cards, and paper and pencil (optional).
2) Take turns reading the top card to the other player. The other player must spell the word correctly to be able to roll the die and advance. Optional: The other speller can write the word and then read the spelling aloud. This might be the best option for young spellers.
3) The first to reach Finish, wins!
My daughter and I have played this game several times. I think it’s a winner for younger kids (K-3) because:
1) It’s big and colorful.
2) It’s easy to play.
3) It doesn’t take long.
Initially, I had my daughter spell all the words out loud. This proved hard for her – even though she can spell most of them correctly on paper, she would mix up the letters when spelling aloud. So I gave her a little notebook to write the words first.
I’m not the type of mom to purposefully let my kids win at games. However, my daughter quickly caught on that I had an unfair advantage in this game. “You spell every word right!” So I decided that when I rolled the numbers 4, 5, or 6 on the die, I would only advance 1, 2, or 3 spaces. This pacified my daughter!
I hope you can use this game! I’d love to hear from you in the comments if you find it useful.
Get your free Spell It Game!
OUR VERY FAVORITE PRINTABLE SPELLING GAMES
If you’re looking for printable games that you can use with any word list, we highly recommend this collection from This Reading Mama. Many of the games are editable! Purchase below using my affiliate link.