They’re here! My final set of short vowel read ‘n stick mats are complete, and I’m excited to share them with you today. Just in case you were wondering – yes, I do plan to share mats for long vowel word families. Watch for those beginning in January!
Here you are… free word family activities for short u:
My Five is such a busy boy. It makes me glad he missed the kindergarten cut off by just a few days, because he really needs time to mature and learn to control his energy! Doing seat work is not #1 on his list, and he’s not always thrilled about the activities I have him do that I share on my blog.
But do you know he’s never once complained about doing Read ‘n Stick mats? Must be that Velcro. 🙂
If my read ‘n stick mats are new to you, read what I’ve got to say below. If not, zip ahead to get them for yourself.
How to assemble and use
1) Print and laminate each mat on sturdy cardstock. I love this affordable home laminator and laminating sheets! Then print and laminate each set of cards. Cut them apart and stick velcro dots to the pictures and backs of the cards.
2) You can certainly print the mats and cards on plain paper, and have your child match them. However, for a more durable and lasting activity, I recommend #1. A bonus of the velcro dots is that you can store the mats without the cards getting lost — just stick them on!
3) My mats were constantly getting misplaced until I punched holes in them and stored them in a 3-ring binder.
4) Take off all the cards. Have your child read the name of the family in the center of the board. Then have him read each card and match it to the picture. You will be teaching new vocabulary along the way when he gets stuck on a particular word (“What’s a cog?”).
5) After a few times of doing this with you, this is something your child might be able to do himself. You can pull out the binder for a reading warm-up before trying some early reading books — or if you’re not there yet, do a few Read ‘ Stick mats after you read books together. You could even put the binder in a bag and bring it along to the waiting room.
Short u word family activities
Get all my Read ‘n Stick Mats
Get our updated and expanded mats!
© 2013 – 2020, Anna G. All rights reserved.