I’ve been busy creating more word family activities — today I’m sharing 7 free mats for short e! Just print the mats and cards, laminate, and attach velcro dots. You’ll have a durable and lasting learning center to use in the classroom or at the kitchen table. Have fun!
(This post contains affiliate links.)
I’ve already shared three sets of Read ‘n Stick mats – but if this is your first set, you’ll want to read what I have to say below:
How to use and assemble
1) Print and laminate each mat on sturdy cardstock. I love this affordable home laminator and laminating sheets! Then print and laminate each set of cards. Cut them apart and stick velcro dots to the pictures and backs of the cards.
2) You can certainly print the mats and cards on plain paper, and have your child match them. However, for a more durable and lasting activity, I recommend #1. A bonus of the velcro dots is that you can store the mats without the cards getting lost — just stick them on!
3) My mats were constantly getting misplaced until I punched holes in them and stored them in a 3-ring binder.
4) Take off all the cards. Have your child read the name of the family in the center of the board. Then have him read each card and match it to the picture. You will be teaching new vocabulary along the way when he gets stuck on a particular word (“What’s a glen?”).
5) After a few times of doing this with you, this is something your child might be able to do himself. You can pull out the binder for a reading warm-up before trying some early reading books — or if you’re not there yet, do a few Read ‘ Stick mats after you read books together. You could even put the binder in a bag and bring it along to the waiting room.
Short e word family activities
Get all my Read ‘n Stick Mats
Get your free reading mats
You’ll love our updated mats and games!
Short Vowel Word Family Mats & Games
This is a set of 35 printable short vowel word family picture mats with corresponding word cards. The mats come in three different versions – full color with a border, color without a border, and black and white. Each mat also comes with a worksheet and two games.